Banana, Quinoa, Coconut Squares

Saturday 15 October 2011


By the time I was diagnosed with coeliac disease, I had become very thin because of the effect gluten was having on my body.  Once I cut it out the speed with which I recovered was incredible.  However, I needed sustenance.  My body had gone through months of illness.  These banana, quinoa and coconut squares were one of the first things I made on a regular basis.
They are very healthy, which means you can have more than one, in fact you definitely should.  Quinoa is a bit of a super grain, you’ll see it popping up quite a lot in the food I cook.  These squares are moist in texture and the cardamom and coconut compliment the banana very well.


Adapted from The Detox Cook by Louisa Walters, Aliza Baron Cohen and Adrian Mercuri
Directions:

9oz ripe bananas cut in to chunks
4 tbsp sunflower oil
½ tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
2oz cashew nuts
2oz desiccated coconut
2oz quinoa flakes
1 carrot grated
Line a square baking pan with baking parchment.  Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5 or 190°C for electric.  In a food processor or blender combine the bananas, sunflower oil, vanilla essence, cinnamon, cardamom and the grated carrot.  Start to add the dry ingredients one by one until well combined.  Pour the batter in to the prepared baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until nicely brown on top.  Remove from the oven, leave to cool in the baking pan for five minutes then turn out on to a rack.  Once cooled, cut in to squares and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.





2 comments:

  1. approximately how much banana constitutes 9 oz? i'm american, i'm limited! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 2 large bananas or 3 small ones :)

      Delete