New Year Granola

Saturday 31 December 2011

This time of year I can’t help getting a bit contemplative...a fresh year full of new possibilities and adventures.  I know I’m pretty excited and have started making plans, things I want to achieve, changes I want to make... I don’t always write them down, there’s no list as I’d probably lose it within five seconds but I like to feel I have a few goals in sight, if nothing else it gets me through the winter months.  So this granola, like the New Year, can be what you want to make it.  You need oats as your base, a wholesome starting point but then you can start building your own combination, nuts, coconut, dried fruit, whatever flavours work for you.  You can make your own granola adventure.  I attacked this granola like I go about many things in life.  I got it out of the oven and barely let it cool before I started eating handfuls from the tray...impatient for things to begin... Happy 2012!
Makes enough for about 6 servings, easily doubled.  Great with milk or natural yoghurt.  I used rice milk here.
150g certified gluten free rolled oats
50g nuts (I used mainly pecans and a few brazil nuts)
25g desiccated coconut
25g coconut flakes
50g dried fruit (I used cranberries and sultanas)
1 tablespoon maple syrup (honey or agave would also work)
1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil melted
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Preheat oven to gas mark 4 180°C/350°F
In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients (apart from the cranberries and sultanas) then add the coconut oil, maple syrup and brown sugar and combine.  Spread the mixture across a shallow baking tray.  Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.  Every ten minutes stir the granola so that everything is evenly baked.  Once the granola is golden, remove from the oven and add the cranberries and sultanas to the tray.  Leave to cool and transfer to an airtight container.  It will keep for up to two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment