Almond Hot Chocolate

Thursday 5 January 2012

Today as I stood waiting for my train in the early morning darkness being battered by the wind, my book pages flapping about madly as I tried to read, I could have done with a cup of this hot chocolate.  This hot chocolate would have cheered me up but the possibility of someone on a train platform handing me a cup of almond hot chocolate in my favourite owl mug is pretty unlikely don’t you think?  Hot chocolate is a tricky customer for us gluten free types.  Instant hot chocolate mixes can contain gluten.  I know, I suffered in my first few months of gluten free life.  The ironic thing is I had it in a cafe that served me a slice of gluten free chocolate cake (hot chocolate and chocolate cake, such is my devotion to all things chocolatey).  As a result I ended up becoming a little bit wary of hot chocolate but I missed it so I decided to experiment with my own at home.  This couldn’t be easier and you can use which ever type of milk you prefer.  I chose Almond milk because I thought the nutty taste would pair well with the chocolate but regular milk would work well too.  Good quality dark chocolate is also full of antioxidants and almonds are high in calcium so it's healthy as well as a treat.

Serves 1
2 squares of good quality dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
1 cup of almond milk (or milk of your choice)
Your favourite mug
Put the milk in a milk pan and heat gently.  When the milk is beginning to simmer around the edges add the squares of chocolate to the pan and stir.  Pour in to your favourite mug and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment