Kale Pesto

Tuesday 10 January 2012

So its January, grey, grey January.  I’m really not a fan of this time of year.  January, February and March just feel too long, too cold, too grey.  I know, I’m really not helping by pointing this out.  The other thing about this time of year..?  We’re supposed to be healthy, even though all I want to do is hide under the duvet eating chocolate biscuits.  We’re supposed to be thinking about getting fit and eating salads but it’s cold outside and salad is about the last thing on my mind.  I couldn’t resist making this kale pesto though, it’s healthy, warming and can be rustled up in the length of time it takes to boil the pasta, the perfect week night dinner.  When I think about pesto I usually think of basil and pine nuts and summery things, this makes a great winter version and the toasted walnuts work really well with the kale.  I am always on the look out for kale recipes, I try to sneak it in to lots of our dinners this time of year much to my husbands chagrin.  When I made this pesto he ate it, I’m not saying he said, “wow” or “yum, give me seconds” but he did consume kale with only minimal complaint.  This is progress.  As a word of warning I would say go easy on the garlic.

Recipe from Shutterbean
Serves 2
1 small bunch of kale (about three stems) I used Cavolo Nero
100g (4oz) gluten free pasta
25g (1oz) toasted walnuts
½ to 1 garlic clove (seriously, go easy)
25g (1oz) parmesan cheese
Squeeze of lemon juice
Approx 50ml or 2 - 3 tablespoons of olive oil
Steam the Kale for 5 minutes then transfer to a colander, rinse with cold water then squeeze out any excess water.  Place in a food processer or blender.  Add the walnuts, garlic, parmesan and lemon juice and blend until smooth.  With the motor running add the olive oil.  You may need extra here, you will have to judge as to the consistency of your pesto.
Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.  When ready drain and return to the pan.  Add the pesto to the pasta and a little water if the pesto needs to be loosened.  Season and sprinkle with parmesan to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment