Ode to a Skillet

Saturday 11 February 2012

I have a new love in my life, my cast iron skillet.  It had languished on my Amazon wish list for months. Birthdays and Christmases came and went...no skillet.  ‘Why’, I complained to my husband ungrateful woman that I am, ‘has no one bought me my skillet!’  Well, a few days later it arrived in the post, I’m a lucky woman.  Sometimes the presents you get for no reason other than your whinging are the best.
So far my skillet and I have made pancakes (coming soon), baked eggs with sauté kale and this sunshine toast from Heidi Swanson’s Super Natural Everyday.  Soon the skillet and I may take our relationship forward to make this French Toast.  I’ll keep you posted on how the relationship is going. 

The original recipe uses a round cookie cutter hence the ‘sunshine toast’ name.  I decided to use a heart shape cutter since Valentine’s Day is just around the corner.  Truth time...my cookie cutter was a bit small for the egg so I didn’t get a pretty perfectly heart shaped egg at the end to show you.  A bigger cookie cutter would have solved this problem.

Sun Toast recipe adapted from Super Natural Everyday by Heidi Swanson
Serves 1
1 inch thick slice of gluten free bread
1 large egg
Butter
Using a cookie cutter of your choice (Heidi recommends a 4cm round cutter) cut a shape out of the middle of your bread.  Butter the bread and the piece you cut out on both sides.
Place the two pieces of bread in a skillet or frying pan over a medium – low heat.  Lightly toast both sides, don’t let them get too well done.  Crack the egg in to the hole and let it cook until the egg whites begin to set and the egg looks about half done.  Flip the toast over and cook the other side until the bread is lovely and golden and the egg is cooked to your liking.  I like my eggs slightly runny.  Serve on a plate and tuck in.  As you cut through the egg the yolk will ooze out and soak in to the toast.  Delicious.
Happy Valentine’s Day xx

No comments:

Post a Comment