Quinoa, Fennel and Pomegranate Salad

Saturday 25 February 2012

I saw this salad in Bon Appétit and the colours just immediately jumped out at me.  I knew I had to make a version of this.  My recipe is a bit of a thrown together affair with the ingredients I had to hand.  I ended up with a fresh tasting salad with a hint of lemon which wasn’t over powering and which worked really well with the mint.  It was a delicious light lunch and perfect for this unusually warm and sunny February day.  I enjoyed mine while listening to a bit of Bruce Springsteen but that part is totally optional.

Inspired by Bon Appetit
Serves 2
100g (4oz) ½ cup quinoa rinsed
250ml or 1 cup water
1 x fennel bulb fronds removed
Pomegranate seeds
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Zest of half a lemon
½ teaspoon of dried rosemary
Handful of fresh mint chopped
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6, 200°C.  Remove the stalks from the fennel and chop the bulb in to chunks.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over the rosemary.  Roast for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.  Meanwhile place the quinoa in a saucepan and add the water.  Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Once cooked drain any excess water and fluff with a fork.  Mix in the lemon juice and zest and set aside covering with a lid to keep warm.  When the fennel is cooked mix it with the quinoa and add a squeeze more lemon juice to taste.  Serve on a plate and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and fresh mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment