Chocolate and Coconut Chunks

Sunday 8 April 2012




























First of all Happy Easter!  I bring you chocolate chunks...not eggs but still chocolate so that should count for something. 

I haven’t been able to blog for a couple of weeks thanks to my ageing lap top.  I needed to update my version of internet explorer but my laptop required all kinds of other software downloads first.  I tend to immediately whirl in to a state of panic if something goes wrong with my computer.  After a nerve racking couple of hours we finally got everything working yesterday.

Anyway back to these chocolate treats.  I made these a couple of weeks ago for a trip to the Isle of Wight to visit my Dad.  My Dad also happens to be coeliac and allergic to dairy products (we are a nightmare duo when it comes to going out for dinner) so since these were gluten free and vegan they were a definite winner.  I have to admit they didn’t all make it as far as the Isle of Wight, quite a few were consumed by my husband and I in the car and more were eaten on the ferry but we turned up with enough to share with my Dad.  These are a wholesome little treat that will have you reaching for more.



























Recipe from Sprouted Kitchen 

100g (4oz) desiccated coconut

50g (2oz) cocoa powder

25g (1oz) gluten free rolled oats

½ cup maple syrup

¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil (melted)

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Combine the coconut, cocoa powder and rolled oats in a mixing bowl.  Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and cinnamon.  Mix everything well and then place the bowl in the fridge for twenty minutes.

Preheat the oven to gas mark 2, 140°C.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Remove your mixture from the fridge.  Use a spoon to scoop out 1 inch balls and place them on the parchment lined tray.  Bake them in the middle of the oven for twenty minutes.  Remove to a wire rack and cool.  The recipe gives the alternative option to chill these for an hour rather than baking them but I found that baking these gives them a lovely crunchy texture on the outside with a softer centre when you bite in to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment