Fruit Filled Buttermilk Breakfast Muffins

Friday 25 May 2012

I urge you to make these muffins.  I know it’s hot and sunny outside.  You want to sit in the garden with a glass of wine and relax.  You don’t want to put the oven on, it’s too hot for the oven.  Right now you are only interested in things you can barbeque.  I understand, it’s been a long week but you can do that after you make these muffins.  If you make these muffins you will have a delicious breakfast waiting for you.  You will have muffins for a week of breakfasts.  Just think of the time it will save.
These muffins are pretty fantastic.  Possibly the best breakfast muffin I’ve tasted.  I made so many that I sent some in to work with my husband.  They went down well.  The thing about these muffins is the abundance of fruit. Lots of juicy fruit that adds moisture and sweetness to the muffins.  Choose whatever combination of berries you like.

Adapted from Seriously Good! Gluten-Free Baking by Phil Vickery.

Notes: The original recipe called for 125g sugar however I reduced this and doubled the amount of fruit.  The recipe also included 1 tablespoon of glycerine and ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum.  I omitted both of these and did not find the muffins suffered in texture.  These were some of the most moist and best tasting muffins I have ever made. J
Makes 12 Muffins.
200g gluten free porridge oats
284ml carton buttermilk
50g unrefined golden caster sugar
150ml sunflower oil
1 medium egg, at room temperature
180g brown rice flour
20g tapioca flour
1 ½ teaspoon gluten free baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
150g frozen or fresh berries (I used frozen raspberries, blackcurrants and blueberries)

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C,400°F.  Prepare a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases.
In a mixing bowl combine the oats, buttermilk and sugar and set aside for 20 minutes (this is important as the buttermilk soaks into the oats and softens them).
In a jug whisk the oil and egg together then pour in to the oat mixture.
Add the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and combine. 
Finally add the fruit and mix gently.
Spoon the mixture in to the muffin cases and bake for 15 to 20 minutes (again mine took closer to 30 due to my useless oven) until golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack then eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment