Orange and Pea Shoot Salad in my Garden Wilderness

Wednesday 30 May 2012

This weekend I finally got to enjoy eating outside in our garden.  We dragged our rickety old table out of the shed and equally rickety and mouldy chairs (note to self, stop leaving things out in the rain).  After a quick dust off I was ready to enjoy my first lunch alfresco and this orange salad is what I had.  We aren’t the best gardeners by a long way.  I always have good intentions.  Every year I plan to grow vegetables but aside from a dalliance with tomatoes I haven’t yet succeeded in that dream.  We’ve let our garden get a tad overgrown lately.  I like to think we were going for the natural look, creating a peaceful wilderness style oasis.  But really the grass just needed a good cut.  Thanks to my husband that at least is sorted now.

So to the salad.  It was inspired by this salad from the hugely popular blog Joy the Baker.  Her blog is full of colourful and inspiring food and of course lots of cake!  There still seems to be a fair amount of Spanish grown citrus around at the moment. Although I couldn’t get hold of blood oranges these un-waxed organic oranges were perfect.  I used a mixture of pea shoots and spinach for my base then added sliced avocado, toasted pecans, crumbled feta and of course the sliced oranges.  I drizzled extra virgin olive oil over the top and voila, lunch.




2 comments: