Fruit Crumble

Thursday 21 June 2012

I’ve been meaning to try making a crumble for years, yes years.  Some have ambitions to bungee jump off the Empire State Building, my ambitions involve making crumble.  I can’t say which is more satisfying and I’m unlikely to find out. For a start I can’t afford the air fare to New York. One of the reasons I didn’t make crumble was my husband always said he didn’t like it, so every time I thought about making one I didn’t fancy the prospect of eating the whole thing myself.  (I now feel like I’m making myself sound friendless.  I just don’t have friends who pop by for crumble...maybe I should get some).  Anyway, I made crumble and my husband loved it, he pretty much ate it all by himself.  “I thought you didn’t like crumble” I said.  “I don’t, I only like yours” was the reply.  Enough said.

Recipe adapted from Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights by Sophie Dahl.
Makes one 8x5 inch crumble.
250g (9oz) fruit (I used a mix of raspberries, strawberries and frozen blackberries)
50g (2oz) unsalted butter plus a ½ tablespoon for the fruit
50g (2oz) brown rice flour
30g (1 ½ oz) gluten free rolled oats
25g (1oz) unrefined golden caster sugar plus ½ tablespoon for the fruit
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, 400°F
Lightly butter your pie dish.
In a large bowl mix the flour, oats and butter to form large breadcrumbs then add the sugar.  Place your fruit in a pie dish and dot the fruit with the extra butter then sprinkle with the extra sugar.  Cover the fruit with the crumble and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the crumble is golden.  Serve warm with ice cream, custard or natural yoghurt.








No comments:

Post a Comment