Beetroot Falafel!

Wednesday 30 January 2013


These deserve an exclamation mark.  I know the exclamation mark is over used in life and more often than not by me but these falafel are that good.  Healthy and with a lovely vibrant colour, the sweet earthiness of the beetroot works perfectly with the warming spice from the cumin.  I made gluten free flatbreads to go with these.  The falafel kept in the fridge for a couple of days and we used them in our lunches so they’re pretty versatile too.

Find the recipe here at BBC Good Food.  I halved the recipe which made 12 falafel.  I didn’t use the egg as it’s pretty hard to halve an egg but the mixture held together really well without it.  I used gluten free bread for the breadcrumbs.  I baked the falafel in the oven on a baking sheet lined with parchment.  The yoghurt dressing is a great compliment or natural yoghurt on its own works just fine.  I think hummus would also be a great addition.  Serve with salad of your choosing.  I used lambs lettuce, baby chard and avocado.
Flatbread recipe here, (also originally from BBC Good Food).
 

4 comments:

  1. Most fuchsia falafel ever! These sound like such a perfect idea--and I bet the beet content makes them go extra well with yogurt sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the beet and yoghurt combo is a winner and they look so pretty too. :)

      Delete
  2. I think they deserve the exclamation mark! heck, you need more than one exclamation mark! I love how gorgeously deep deep pink they are, and against the green avocado. I don't know I just really really love how this whole dish looks and sounds. good one caz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shu Han. You can't help but be drawn in by the look of these. I saw them on BBC Good Food and knew I would have to make them. :)

      Delete