Gluten Free Zesty Pancakes

Monday 11 February 2013

Somehow this year I almost missed Pancake Day (which is tomorrow for those also caught unawares).  That would have been a tragedy in my view.  I love a good excuse to have a pancake or two.  On Sunday afternoon with rain and hail battering our windows I set about whipping up a batch of pancakes from the ingredients I had to hand.  Here I made pancakes the way I had them as a child topped with a little lemon juice and a sprinkling of sugar.  To make things extra zingy I added lemon zest to the pancake batter too.  It worked a treat.
 
Recipe from Seriously Good! Gluten-Free Baking by Phil Vickery.
Makes 4-6 pancakes
90g (3 ½ oz) brown rice flour
35g (1 ½ oz) cornflour
2 medium free range eggs
200ml milk (I used rice milk)
Olive oil or butter for greasing the pan
Zest from one lemon (optional)
In a large jug or mixing bowl mix together the flours. Add the eggs one by one whisking well, then add about three quarters of the milk and combine. The batter should be fairly runny (consistency of double cream).  Add more milk if necessary.  Finally add the lemon zest and mix in well.
Heat the oil in a skillet or non stick frying pan. Pour in about 4 tablespoons of batter and swirl it round to cover the base. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds and as the pancake begins to set loosen the edges with a spatula. Once the pancake is set turn it over and cook the other side until golden. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
If you are looking for other pancake inspiration you could try one of these...


No comments:

Post a Comment