Roasted Beetroot and Fennel Soup

Friday 22 February 2013

Today is freezing.  After the glimpse of spring we enjoyed last weekend the skies have closed over in an endless grey, the temperature has plummeted and I am back to longing for the end of winter.  This morning we set off determined on one of our favourite walks.  I wasn’t going to let the fact it was snowing stop me.  After climbing a steep hill I found myself just wanting to be home.  My nose was so cold, my eyes were watering and I could hardly feel my hands.  Uncharacteristically for me and much to the amusement and most likely relief of my husband I requested we head for home.  He willingly obliged with only the gentlest of I told you so’s.  I made this beetroot soup last weekend.  It is just the thing after a freezing cold walk or to warm you up at your desk at work.  I can’t help but love beetroot with its beautiful and vibrant colour.  The beetroot and fennel get roasted with thyme until they are lovely and caramelised.  They then join shallots (or onion) and garlic in a simmering pan of stock.  Finally the soup is blended and served with grated orange zest which adds a lovely dash of colour and tang to the earthy sweetness of the beets. 
 
You can find the recipe here at The Kitchn.  I followed the recipe but used shallots instead of onion because that is what I had.  I’m happy to say there are containers of this soup in my freezer ready for the next time I foolishly head out in to the cold.
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, fennel and beets sound like they'd be so great together, especially in roasted form! And a hot pureed soup is always the perfect choice for a wintry day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, yes they are a winning combination. Brightens up the day too. :)

      Delete
  2. mmm. i love beetroot soup. thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Ariyele. I hope you get some beetroot soup soon. :)

      Delete
  3. actually, right at that stage where they're all roasted and slightly golden at the edges, I'll probably find it hard to resist digging in straight already hehe. love roasted sweet vegetables, they turn almost caramel-like. soup sounds lovely though, and the colour is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I know what you mean it seems almost a shame to turn them in to soup! Worth it though. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my, this looks yummy! I am going to put this on my "must make" list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny! I hope you make it and enjoy it. :)

      Delete