Asparagus Toastie!

Sunday 19 May 2013


It’s that time of year where we are all going mad for asparagus or rhubarb.  Both have short seasons and therefore seem to hold an elevated place in foodie world.  Having decided that I wanted a toastie for my lunch I then started to ponder the filling.  Feeling experimental I decided an asparagus toastie was the way to go and it did not disappoint.  Of course when you are putting something between toasted bread and smothering it with melted cheese you can be pretty sure it’s going to taste good.  I lightly roasted the asparagus in extra virgin olive oil which gave it a nice crusty outer edge while still retaining a slight bite to the centre.  I think if you wanted to take this sandwich up a level then a fried egg inside would also be amazing.






Makes one toastie.
6 asparagus spears washed and the woody ends chopped off.  They should be about the length of your bread.
Extra virgin olive oil
Hard goat cheese or other strong flavoured cheese.
2 slices of gluten free bread.
Preheat the oven Gas Mark 7, 220°C, 425°F
Place the asparagus on a roasting tray, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, season and roast for about ten minutes until just cooked but still retaining a little bite.
Assemble your toastie by your preferred method.  I cook my toastie using the grill.  Layer the base slice of bread with cheese and cook under the grill until slightly melted.  Top with the roasted asparagus and the top slice of bread.  Return the toastie to the grill cooking first one side and then flip it over and do the other.  












6 comments:

  1. Hooray for asparagus! I don't think I've ever had it in sandwich form, though. Such a perfect-looking lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, yes asparagus in a sandwich was a first for me too. :)

      Delete
  2. That must be delicious!
    Are you familiar with Lappish cuisine?!!!
    http://shoptravelfood.blogspot.hu/2013/05/a-piece-of-lapland-in-helsinki.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tibs. Lappish cuisine is a new one on me, thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  3. Hi caz!!! So glad to be back in the blogsphere! Missed coming here! I see you posted about asparagus too. Haha. To eb hoenst, I never understood everyone's obsession with asparagus. Sure I love it, but I love it as much as I do many other veg, and I never coudl understand its crazy price tag. I still do love it though. And this does sound brilliant, though I must say I agree, how can anything sandwiched between crispy toast and melted cheese not taste good haha. I do love how it looks when you slice the sandwich, and you can see the cross section little circle, adorable! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shu Han! Welcome back. :) I know what you mean about asparagus. It can be ridiculously expensive just because it won't be around for long.

      Delete