Chicken Coconut Korma

Saturday 29 June 2013


























This curry has fast become a favourite dinner in our house.  I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to really spicy curries so this korma suits me just fine.  I love the creamy coconut milk mixed with the warming ginger and mild spices of the korma curry paste.  I’ve gone down the traditional route of using chicken but because buying organic meat can be pricey I like to try and substitute plenty of vegetables for some of the meat making it an all round healthier dish.  Here I used cauliflower which blended in to the background nicely.  I also threw in some red lentils for a little extra protein and fibre.  Alternatively chickpeas are also a nice addition.  The end result is hearty meal which should keep those who like spicy food (my husband) happy but is subtle enough not to blow your head off.  If you are vegetarian of vegan then just leave out the meat and substitute with vegetables.  I add kale at the last minute as we can’t get enough of it but spinach would also work.






















Recipe adapted from Jamie’s Ministry of Food by Jamie Oliver

*The original recipe uses a fresh green chilli.  I didn’t bother in my version but if you like a really hot curry then go for it.

Serves 2
1 large chicken breast chopped in to approximately 3cm pieces
1 shallot finely chopped
½ thumb sized piece of fresh root ginger finely chopped
¼ head of cauliflower cut in to chunks
Handful of red lentils
½ tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon of korma curry paste or more if you like it hotter
200ml coconut milk
Small handful of flaked almonds plus extra toasted for serving
1 heaped tablespoon of desiccated coconut
Salt and pepper to taste
Small handful of kale (optional)
Coriander leaves to serve (not pictured, I’d run out)

In a large heavy based pan sauté your chicken pieces in coconut oil until lightly brown.  Add the shallot and ginger and continue to sauté for about 5 minutes.  Add the cauliflower, korma paste, lentils, coconut milk, flaked almonds and desiccated coconut and mix everything together.  Add extra water as needed.  Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes with the lid on.  Check periodically that the curry is not drying out and add more water as necessary.  Once the chicken is cooked and the curry is ready add the kale for the last two minutes.  Season to taste and serve with rice (I used brown).  Sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds and fresh coriander.


2 comments:

  1. YAY. I want this for dinner tonight--which is saying something, as we went out to the Indian buffet for lunch. :) Did you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut? I'm guessing unsweetened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used unsweetened coconut! It really is so good. :)

      Delete